A health worker in Bengal teaches women about pelvic exams.
Alliance projects focus on regions in which cervical cancer incidence and mortality are highest: sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, and South Asia. Alliance-funded
research and demonstration projects are underway in Bolivia, El Salvador, Ghana, India, Kenya, Malawi, Peru, South Africa, and Thailand, among other countries.
Alliance work includes:
- exploring new approaches for detection of precancerous lesions;
- evaluating the effectiveness of combined detection and treatment approaches;
- improving delivery of cervical cancer prevention services;
- developing the means by which clinicians can be trained in providing quality cervical cancer prevention services;
- assessing what women and health care providers need to know about cervical cancer prevention;
- preparing key information packages for health care decision-makers;
- providing small grants
to local agencies working on cervical cancer prevention in their communities.